- The gift card/certificate must clearly show date issued and expiration date.
- If there is no expiration date displayed, then it shall be valid in perpetuity.
- For gift cards the minimum expiration date is 5 years and for gift certificates a minimum of 2 years.
- One time activation fees are allowed, but periodic service fees, including for inactivity or dormancy, are not allowed.
- The activation fee cannot be more than 10% of the face value or $5, whichever is less.
Compared to other states, Hawaii's consumer protection laws are about average. It is hoped that ey will continue to improve.
Want some privacy? Hawaii is the most isolated population center in the world. Hawaii's closest neighbor is California, which is 2,390 miles away. Hawaii became the 50th state on August 20, 1959. Hawaii consists of 8 large islands and 124 smaller islands. Thanks to volcanic eruptions, Hawaii is the only state whose land area is actually increasing. Hawaii is the only state that grows coffee. The Aloha state also produces sugar, over 300,000 tons of pineapple every year and is the top supplier of macadamia nuts. Hawaii also has the fewest overweight people in the US and the longest life expectancy. It is also the only state where the majority of people are non-white.
- The population of Hawaii is 1,392,313 according to the US Census Bureau.
- 21.8% of Hawaiian residents are under 18 and 15.1% are over 65.
- The median household income is $67,116 and 10.2% or residents are living below poverty level.
- Hawaii's unemployment ratedropped to 4.7% in May 2013.
- There were 2528 bankruptcy filings in 2012, the lowest in the last 4 years.
- Hawaii had over 7,837,194 visitors in 2012.
Hawaii's Consumer Protection Laws
The State of Hawaii Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs has more information on Hawaii's consumer protection policies.
You'll Fly, I'll Buy
It would sure be nice to get some fresh coffee beans or maybe chocolate covered macadamia nuts from Hawaii. Maybe a friend is going on vacation there and you can make a deal. You supply the gift cards and they share the purchase. Sounds like a win-win!
Gift Card Tips
When you purchase a card, have the cashier scan the card to verify the balance and that it works. Only purchase a gift card from a reputable vendor, preferably from where you will be spending the card. Online auction sites might have cards for less, but they may also be stolen, counterfeit or simply have a lower value than indicated.